The firm that made history
KINGSPORT — The law firm that drafted the charter to incorporate Kingsport as a municipality in the state of Tennessee has something to celebrate this year.
Hunter, Smith & Davis, LLP, is 100 years old.
The firm was formed in 1916 and headed by Judge Hugh G. Morison who worked with community and industry leaders, city planners, railroad executives, and real estate development companies to develop railroad and city rights of way for neighborhoods, roads, sidewalks, industrial land development and rail traffic throughout the region.
Morison was hired by the legendary financier John B. Dennis to draw up that Kingsport charter in 1917.
The firm began as Morison and Kelly, and featured a number of other principals before settling on the Hunter, Smith & Davis (HSD) name in 1980. The firm resides at its Eastman Road law center.